Colin's Reviews > Izzy, Willy-Nilly

Izzy, Willy-Nilly by Cynthia Voigt

Oct 26, 09

bookshelves: youngadultlit, fiction, disabilitystudies
Read in October, 2009

I'm a bit torn on this one. On the good side, Cynthia Voigt is extremely good at characterization. She writes in a compelling, interesting way; I am invested and interested in her characters.

Now for the complicated/I'm torn parts: On one hand it seemed a pretty realistic story about how someone might deal with suddenly becoming disabled. There was a lot of spewing of internalized ableism, she loses all her shallow "popular" friends, and has to make new ones. My problem with the book is that nowhere in it was there any character that challenged her ableism or any internal realization on the protaganist's part that some of this ableist shit might not be true.

Izzy is fifteen and a pretty, athletic cheerleader. Then she gets in a car with a drunk date and loses her leg. (That was a bit of heavy moralism, as an aside). Then she's like, oh, no one will ever date me, and i can't do anything ever again, because I'm a cripple. And she doesn't. Oh, wait, she takes up needlepoint, and the hot guy she wanted to date before the accident wants to be her buddy. But only because he "forgot" she was disabled, according to Izzy. The book ends on this note that was like, I have to accept this, I guess, but it's probably not going to be okay.

Basically, I thought it would be a lot better book if some guy that she was too shallow to notice before was interested in her, or if she joined a disabled dance company or something. Alas.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Izzy, Willy-Nilly.

message 1: by lyndsey (new)

lyndsey i think i remember this book being fucked up. am i right?