Elizabeth Blake's Reviews > The Haunting of Hill House

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Nov 02, 09

Read in November, 2009

This book is called a "classic horror." It was written in 1959, therefore, the style of writing is different than the way books are written today.
The first 100 pages (out of 175) tells about the characters involved. It isn't until after page 100 that anythings happens. It's more of a phsychological horror story.
If you like stories with lots of description and delving into the character's minds, you will like this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haunting of Hill House.

10/25/2009 page 50
27.47% 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary I think I will skip this one. I really don't like horror story or movies. So even though you say it was good, I'll let it pass and stick with mysteries and romance.

message 2: by Crin (new) - added it

Crin I am looking for a credible way to represent evil characters in my current project. I would like to see the psychological profiles in that first 100 pages. There may be some inspiration there.

I like the old classics like Frankenstein so that is grounds for a quick read. My schedule is pretty full but I may have some time next month to skim it. Wish I had the time to devote to my to-read list but right now I am a woman on a mission to finish my science fiction project. Thanks for the inspiration I got from reading your review. That is a possible research direction for me right now.