Gail's Reviews > A Woman in Charge: The Life of Hillary Rodham Clinton

A Woman in Charge by Carl Bernstein

Dec 17, 07

bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction
Recommended for: anyone who wants to better understand the Clinton presidency
Read in December, 2007

OMG - I feel like I deserve to be president after finishing this book!

Sarcasm aside, I picked a bad time of year (with the holidays upon us) to read a 550-page tome focused on politics. 'Nuff said.

But for what it's worth, this book is captivating in its own way. I was fascinated by Bernstein's retelling of Hillary's youth, her years in college, first meeting Bill, their early years in Arkansas, and so on ... It's when I hit around Page 300 that I started to lose a bit of interest with the book getting bogged down with so many names (here's where Bernstein would have benefited from a "List of Characters" reference) and so many quasi-conspiracies (Travel Gate, Vince Foster, etc.)

The book picks back up again with the Lewinsky affair, but ends before we get into Hillary's years as a senator - which is too bad because I wanted to know more about her track record post-White House.

Reading this, I definitely have a better understanding of all that went down during the Clinton presidency, and it's hard to deny that the "vast right-wing conspiracy" didn't exist.

Any qualms aside, if Hillary does happen to pick up the Democratic nom in '08, I think this book should be required reading. Elsewise, pick up at your own (political) interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Woman in Charge.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hard to deny the "vast right-wing conspiracy didn't" or did exist? How so?

Gail Oh, forgive me if that didn't make sense - it was late and I'm sick! ha!!

Basically, there is no denying (in my book and, apparently, Carl's) that a right wing conspiracy DID exist.

Fueled by the charges of men like Newt Gingerich, who on the side were doing their own adulterous deeds in the most hypocritical fashion ...

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Yeah, that was truly an unfortunate time in American politics, that little era of erotica. But we see continually that those with political power simply don't rein in their desires for outlets from it all (Foley, Craig, etc.). It's like none of them learns from the others.

message 4: by Paul (last edited Dec 19, 2007 12:18PM) (new)

Paul Allor Newt Gingerich a hypocrite? What?!?!?!

More seriously, I love what Philip Roth wrote about the Lewinsky scandal in "The Human Stain." He said it "revived America's oldest communal passion, historically perhaps its most treacherous and subversive pleasure: the ecstasy of sanctimony." And, a bit later: "No, if you haven't lived through 1998, you don't know what sanctimony is."