Cheryl's Reviews > The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Feb 08, 08

Read in June, 1995

I adored this book. From the very first page it was engaging and full of life.

Here's a quick synopsis straight from Amazon.com:

The Pillars of the Earth sweeps through four decades of 12th Century England drawing the listener into the raw, flamboyant middle ages. It is a shining saga of good and evil, treachery and intrigue, violence and beauty. Not-so-noble knights, righteous heroes, valiant heroines and both virtuous and immoral men of God highlight this story. They manipulate, and are in turn manipulated by, the political turmoil and unrest between the reigns of Henry I and Henry II.

Now to the reasons I like this book so much:

I'm not sure I can put it into words how this book made me feel the first time I read it. At the time I was really into learning and reading everything about the medieval/middle ages I could get my hands on. Pillars of the Earth may have had some flaws, but they paled in comparison to the glimpse into the lives of normal every day people during a very tumultuous period in history that Follett gives us. It was the first book of fiction that I read that came even close to what I had found during my studies. And I was in awe. I couldn't stop talking about this book. I recommended it to everyone I knew. And even today, there are a few people that still thank me for telling them about the book and continue to recommend it to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of the Earth.