Gretchen's Reviews > An Echo in the Bone

An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon

Oct 25, 09

bookshelves: read-2010, read-2013, read-2014
Read in October, 2009

I love the Outlander Series. But this book was my least favorite so far. Gabaldon tries to balance multiple storylines, and in doing so seems to have lost momentum. I was glad to see the return of some familiar characters, and as usual, loved the moments when the ties between past and present are made clear. But with the added storylines, we now have 7 character viewpoints by my count. This, coupled with short segments means a lot of transitions, and many opportunities to put the book down, or skip ahead. At times, it felt more like slogging through to get to a section I cared about. I was also, as many others noted, disappointed in the ending - the book is 800+ pages long, and only 1 storyline has a (seeming) resolution? I've come to expect that the story will go on, but can't remember another Gabaldon book ending with so many characters in action. This is a book for Gabaldon fans who are anxious to know What Happens Next, and are willing to accept going in that they will have to wait for at least one more novel to get to The End.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Echo in the Bone.