Michelle's Reviews > The Seance

The Seance by John Harwood

Oct 25, 09

bookshelves: mystery
Read in October, 2009

Alright...the title makes it sound a little (or a lot) on the dark side. And I admit that I normally stay away from scary stories that even hint about the occult. I don't like being afraid. However, I picked this up because I wanted a little bit of a fright (it is October, after all, and I feel culturally obligated...that or I was feeling some nostalgia for my childhood days and the ghost stories I loved to read then). I promised myself I would stop reading it if it went too far down the occult road. It didn't, so I kept reading.

But I digress. What really made me choose this book? The claim that it was reminiscent of Wilkie Collins' Woman in White (a book I loved by the way). I ended up liking this book both because it did remind me of Woman in White and because it gave me a slight scare, but not such a fright that I had nightmares.

On the other hand, I didn't love it because I am not sure that the entire premise was all that exciting. The story surrounds a decrepit old home and the mysterious Wraxfords who inhabited and supposedly haunted its halls. I think I wanted it to be a true ghost story, and it wasn't. It was a good mystery, however. So if you are looking for a little fright and don't scare too easily, I'd recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seance.