Christine's Reviews > City of Masks

City of Masks by Mary Hoffman

Oct 25, 09

Recommended for: Harry Potter fans
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

This is sooo good! I'd almost put it on the same level as Harry Potter, but this is only the first of the series so I probably shouldn't speak so soon.
I liked the ending, surprisingly. At first, I was angry--who likes an ending that's even slightly tinted with sadness? But at the same time, I did like it because it wasn't that stupid happily ever after stuff, although, in a sense, a lot worked out. So it had a happy ending, but it was also a sad, poignant ending...And man, that must have been confusing. READ IT.
There were a lot of twists and turns, and everything built on itself really well. It was GREAT. Plus, who doesn't like magic?
Oh, one thing that did seem a little weird to think about was that the main characters were actually my age. And they were pretty well portrayed, maturity wise (except, whoa, Luciano was super mature for a dude). I noticed a lot of similarities between Arianna and myself--like that tendency to have aspirations I feel are high, but to eventually look back and wonder why I aimed so low. She was a lot more attention hogging (I think?) but I also feel that's typical, especially since she was the only child on a whole ISLAND. Oh, and she was a total drama queen. But it was okay, I liked her. :)
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Masks.

message 1: by Maryam (new)

Maryam I loved this book and the review. I agree about Luciano, but boys in books are always better :)