HeavyReader's Reviews > The Secret Life of Bees

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Jan 16, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Read in October, 2009

Here's the best line from the whole book: "...that's the only purpose grand enough for a human life. Not just to love--but to persist in love."

I read this book when I was staying at the Unicorn House. I needed something to read, so with Laura's permission, I borrowed this from her shelf.

My biggest complaint with the book was how neatly everything is tied up at the end. Lily's dad (a man who has been portrayed as terribly mean and irrational throughout the book) comes to fetch her, she throws a bit of ridicule his way, and he decides to just leave her alone and let her do what she wants. Really? That is so so so unlikely!

This book fits in the genre of "lost young white girl without a mother (in the era of the 20th century before the big changes of the civil rights movement) is loved and nurtured and taught and healed by cool, eccentric African American women." I can't decide if I think it's cool that African American women get to play such a role (at least in fiction) or if it's another case of white people sucking up someone else's culture for their own healing and growth.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Bees.

Janice i love your review and i agree with you, but spoiler alert!