Julie Stout's Reviews > Winter: Notes from Montana

Winter by Rick Bass

Oct 25, 2009

Read from February 14 to March 22, 2010

montana is a dreamland and what literary ambrosia to read someone waxing on about its beauty. I was in heaven as I read and experienced the passion that the author has for the wilderness, trees, and people who love them. Here are 2 great quotes on logging and Mormon missionaries: p.66: There's nothing that gets you as dirty as woodcutting. I thought roughnecking was bad. Roughnecking is a tea party, ginger cakes and lemonade. Roughnecking is washing your hands and blowing your nose with a lace hankie, compared to cutting wood." p. 100: I've been waiting for the Mormon missionaries to surface: strong, mellow, easygoing, confident, a perfectly matched duo - training! training! - riding those bikes all over the place fleshes out their arms, gives shine to their cheeks. The can take on the world, they know about the world and are not on the run from it, as were two revolutionaries who came by yesterday. The missionaries simply believe they've seen something better, that they have something better, and are merely burdened by guilt, having it that good, while the rest of us know nothing about it. I think that's how the Mormons must feel, how they go about their business.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter.

03/07/2010 page 80
03/07/2010 page 80
45.45% "beautiful book for people like me who appreciate solitude and nature." 1 comment