Nms's Reviews > Sun Storm

Sun Storm by Åsa Larsson

U_50x66
Oct 25, 09

The first of three books by Asa Larsson, a Swedish lawyer who also writes mysteries.
Rebecka Martinsson is a tax attorney (now how boring is that?) in Stockholm, but travels back to her childhood home in Kiruna (in the far north of Sweden) at the request of the sister of a man who was murdered.
From the first pages of the book:
-When Victor Strandgard dies it is not, in fact, for the first time. He lies on his back in the church called The Source of All Our Strength and looks up through the enormous windows in its roof. It's as if there is nothing between him and the dark winter sky up above....The Aurora Borealis twists and turns like a dragon in the night sky. Stars and planets are compelled to give way to her, this great miracle of shimmering light, as she makes her unhurried way across the vault of heaven. Victor Strandgard follows her progress with his eyes. I wonder if she sings? he thinks. Like a lonely whale beneath the sea? And as if his thought have touched her, she stops for a second. Breaks her endless journey. Contemplates Victor Strandgard with her cold winter eyes. Because he is as beautiful as an icon lying there, to tell the truth, with the dark blood like a halo round his long, fair, St. Lucia hair. He can't feel his legs anymore. He is getting drowsy. There is no pain....

What a terrific image.
Larrson wrote three books about Martinsson and Kiruna. I'm not sure if there will be more. And then, of course, even if there is a fourth book, we'll have to wait longer, until it's translated into English.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun Storm.