Rebecca's Reviews > Sarajevo: A War Journal

Oct 25, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009, historical, non-fiction, memoir, translated
Read in October, 2009

After reading the prelude and the introduction (neither by the author) I was ready to put the book down and never pick it up again. The reason? They were extremely biased, full of propaganda and based purly on the writers (of that component of the book - not the actual author of the book)feelings on what was going on at the time in Sarajevo. I guess from my perspective I should have kept in mind that Sarajevo was still under seige and the conflict/s in Bosnia hadn't ended when the book was published and first printed.

It did improve when the actual authors writing started. As you moved through the days and his "journal" which was published at the time in a Croatian paper (and later in other world papers), you could almost see him moving through the stages of grief, at the end he was almost at total acceptance of that was how things were going to be (Sarajevo under continuous seige). The best point the author made after the prelude and introduction was state that in Sarajevo, those defending the city from within were made up of all those races and religions that called Sarajevo home (including Serbs of Orthodox faith which the introduction places under the "all serbs are bad" mentality). I think that the multiculturalism within the city is one of the reasons it remains so today (it is a beautiful place if you ever get the chance to go) and the reson so many people stayed behind.

Overall it did not do much to improve my knowledge of the conflict and how it was like to live in Sarajevo during the conflict and for that reason would not recommend it. If you are looking at a historical "non-biased" book to read try The Death of Yugoslavia instead and go and experience the city for yourself if you can.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarajevo.

10/25/2009 page 100
51.81% "After reading the two forwards I nearly put this book down...has improved since it got past the political opinion start"