Lori's Reviews > Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites: Flavorful Recipes for Healthful Meals

Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites by Moosewood Collective

Oct 25, 09

Moosewood Low Fat Favorites is simply the best cookbook I own. The recipes are vegetarian (not vegan) but you definetly do not have to be a vegetarian to enjoy these wonderful, delicious recipes. I am a mother of four children ranging from ages 16-5 years and I usually look for easy to prepare, visually appealing, great tasting meals and this book delivers on all fronts.
Here are just a few of my families favorites; Spanish Pepper Frittata, Middle Eastern Chickpeas with Spinach, Lighter Lasagna, Stuffed Manicotti Verde and Eggplant Parmesan. We have a garden that overflows with vegetables and last night I made the Cucumbers Vinagrette a simple dish that was completely gone by the end of the meal. Broiled Zucchini with Herbs is a fantastic way to use up this over abundant veggie.
Each recipe is accompanied by the serivng analysis which includes; calories, fat, protein, carbohydrates, and fiber as well as others items. The back of the book has a Glossary of Cooking Techniques and Terms which is helpful if you are unfamiliar with preparing some of the items in the recipes such as tofu, tempeh, bulgur etc. A Guide to Ingredients section gives a detailed description of ingredients that may be unfamiliar including; asian fish sauce, berbere, cornichons and fenugreek seeds to name a few.
One of the best details is that each recipe has menu suggestions listed under it, for example, Seasoned Steamed Artichokes menu suggestions include; "Try them drizzled with Yogurt Tahini Dressing before Middle Eastern Chickpeas with Spinach or with Tabouli Salad with greens." It takes the guesswork out of meal planning. This is a great cookbook!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites.