CD 's Reviews > Forever Young: Photographs of Bob Dylan

Forever Young by Douglas R. Gilbert

Nov 18, 09

bookshelves: photography, biography, pop-culture, pop-culture-music, 1960-s, music-history
Read in November, 2009

This is another one of those 'snapshot' in time photographic works that I am finding myself reading and collecting more often of late.

Dylan has not yet emerged as the trickster, the enigma or any of his other persona's in this work. The face is more open and as is astutely pointed out, Dylan is not the center of attention.

The photographs include people who we rarely see at this level of intimacy. John Sebastian as the young man additionally make this worth a look.

Three people who have touchstone roles in Dylan's life are depicted in one or two photos that border on revelatory in relation to what we 'know' of them from later. The woman on the reverse cover of the album (yes a record!) is caught leaning against the refrigerator while Dylan and Allen Ginsberg joke around over the breakfast table and a box Quaker Puffed Rice Not something you see in the formal posed photos of just a year or so later from Dylan.

The photographs of the 'twins' Ginsberg and Orlovsky I have never seen done or presented as well even though these are very much candid shots.

Dave Marsh adds the comments and text to this work that lays the backdrop for what is to come. Particularly the Folk Police are given no quarter by this writer and chronicler of the emerging American Rock scene.

A more consistent format for presentation of the photographs and tighter editing and expansion of the text would push this to 5 stars easily. Must read for early Rock and Roll enthusiasts and students of popular culture photography.

Great simple candid photography that catches a moment in time as well as probably can be accomplished.

This is a 'goodread' if not perfect.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Young.