Matt's Reviews > The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories

The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft

Nov 21, 09

bookshelves: i-give-up

Maybe the problem is that a lot of these stories, according to the editor, weren't included necessarily because they're all that great, but because they tell us something interesting about the author himself? Either way, by the time I got through "The Dunwich Horror," I was so bored by shadowy, unnameable menaces threatening the world and being stopped by incantations chanted by erudite professors that I couldn't bring myself even to start At the Mountains of Madness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Hmm, what else you got up? What about some Shirley Jackson or that new one by Sarah Waters?

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Many good horror stories and movies will only hint or give a blurred or shadowy image of the creature thus allowing the reader's imagination to run free and to use the reader's own fear adding to the horror. But the styles of writing do change with the authors becoming more direct relying less on the imagination of the readers. I personally find my own imagination is more scarier than some of the creatures in which writers go ahead and tell the appearance and other such details to the reader.