Seth Jenson's Reviews > Glenn Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government, Inspired by Thomas Paine

Glenn Beck's Common Sense by Glenn Beck

Oct 25, 09

Read in October, 2009

I picked up Glenn Beck's book the order and started reading it the other day. Borrowed it from the in-laws. I really liked Glenn Beck at first. But, the more I listen to this guy, Glenn Beck that is, the less I like his style, and the less I trust him. I think some of his ideas are good but he's so sensational. He doesn't provide evidence and real life examples to support a lot of his claims. His words are incendiary. He thinks he's transformational, but I don't think he is. I think he's inflammatory. I prefer a methodical, cool, collected method to making a case for change. I'd prefer to have someone who truly understands economics and finance to be the one calling for change. I don't want to be led off a cliff by some ultra passionate ranter. I want someone who's so confident in what they believe that they are calm as a summer's morn. They don't have to freak out and scream to get people's attention and they know it. They possess the truth, and that's what makes them so calm. They don't have to use sensational antics to make a point. They just state their case and let it be, knowing that truth will prevail in the end. Maybe that's too calm an approach to accomplish anything in the political arena, but I for one would certainly enjoy that kind of an approach much more than the one politicians and pundits prefer to employ in this day and age.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glenn Beck's Common Sense.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawn (new)

Shawn I agree with you RE: Glenn Beck. The thing is, he's an entertainer first. The problem is that people take him way too seriously. and to an extent, I think he's started to take himself way too seriously. He used to be more about comedy and entertainment in his shows--now he's turned into a conspiracy theory ranter. He's getting rich off America's paranoia. Even still, there are times when he's still pretty funny.

message 2: by Seth (new) - rated it 1 star

Seth Jenson Agreed!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Hi Seth,
I absolutely agree with you. I'm just glad he is bringing some of the facts out, while entertaining. I agree there are many times when he is over the top, and so a lot of people will disregard some of the truths he is able to get across. I guess it takes all kinds. And, one thing for sure, we need some conservative people who are willing to stand up for conservative principles. Fortunately, Glenn Beck often uses videos and actual statements to back up his claims. Sometimes the delivery is a little hard to stomach.

message 4: by Seth (new) - rated it 1 star

Seth Jenson Thanks for your comment Joanne.

message 5: by Shannon (last edited Nov 01, 2009 03:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shannon I can't help but think this review of "Common Sense" is not about the piece of literature at all, but instead about Glenn's infamous radio/television personality. I understand that a lot of people will be biased against his books if they don't agree with his politics or know him only by his "rants." You can't deny that he is certainly an entertainer--he is truly captivating and emotive. Compared with a lot of Glenn's other books, "Common Sense" was closer to "calm as a summer's morn" because it is almost purely facts and leaves some interpretation up to the reader. So I would really enjoy an objective review from you about Glenn's "Common Sense," not a commentary about his politics or personality in general.

message 6: by Seth (last edited Nov 01, 2009 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Seth Jenson Summer, sorry you didn't agree but I wrote my review based on what I read. He throws out a lot of claims in the book without giving examples or making bases for his claims. We'd have to sit down and go through it together for me to show you what I mean. Just because he doesn't back up everything he says doesn't mean it's not true. It just means he didn't do as good of a job as he should've. It cheapens the book a little bit. It's hard to take it as a serious work for me. Regardless of whether or not it's true, it comes across as sensational.

Shannon Fair enough! Thanks for the response, happy reading!

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam Thanks for a great comment Seth. I listened to Glenn's book a few months ago and was quite unimpressed. I think Glenn cheapens the conservative movement by relying more on emotionalism than rationalism. This is seen most clearly in the way he treats callers or guests who don't see eye to eye with him: he attacks them. Why not have a grown up conversation? I think we have the better arguments, but we need to be able to engage the other side in cool-headed debate to be taken seriously. Try podcasts Common Sense by Dan Carlin, or EconTalk by Russ Roberts for some great commentary. Also look for talks by Robert P. George from Princeton (try http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=browse&a...) as an example.

message 9: by Seth (new) - rated it 1 star

Seth Jenson Thanks Sam. I always enjoy hearing your thoughts on politics and the like. You're always in tune with who to listen to when it comes to these things.