Melindeeloo's Reviews > Dark Needs at Night's Edge

Dark Needs at Night's Edge by Kresley Cole

Oct 24, 09

bookshelves: favorites
Read in April, 2008

Kresley Cole's latest book will satisfy your 'Dark Needs' for a great paranormal romance

In case you were worried when you heard that Cole's heroine was a ghost, fear no more.

Cole makes the relationship work gloriously, allowing the connection between Néomi, the murdered ballerina, and Conrad Wroth, a violently insane vampire assassin to develop slowly and believably even though we can quickly see how each fulfills the other's emotional needs. Néomi, who was an outgoing social and vivacious person in life, finally finds hope of someone to end her years of loneliness spent as a ghost as Conrad appears to be able to see her. For Conrad -- imprisoned in Néomi's home by the brothers who hope to somehow bring Conrad back from the madness caused by 300 years of evil memories gained by drinking the blood of Conrad's vile victims -- Néomi at first seems to be just a vision induced by his madness but later she becomes the catalyst to lead Conrad back to sanity as Néomi's mere presence brings him a measure of peace.

I won't spoil this for you by dropping hints as to how Cole manages to even offer hope for a happily ever after for these two, other than to say that if you think that fact that Conrad isn't blooded and can't touch Néomi in anyway lessens the ability for Cole to build desire between them, you will be pleasantly surprised at the level of steaminess she manages. Apart from the star-crossed lovers, Cole makes use of much of her cast from previous books. Conrad's brothers Nicolai (from Cole's short "The Warlord Want Forever" from Playing Easy to Get) and Sebastian (from No Rest for the Wicked (The Immortals After Dark, Book 2)) are on hand and witch Marika and her mate Bowen (from Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (The Immortals After Dark, Book 3)) along with vakyrie seeress Nix, who is pulling the strings in the larger plot, all play a significant role here. Cole also does a bit of set up with demon brothers Cade and Rydstrom (also from 'Wicked Deeds') to get us ready for her next book.

Fortunately for us now that Cole has satisfied our 'Dark Needs' we don't have long to wait until she fulfils our 'Dark Desires' for Cade's story,Dark Desires After Dusk (The Immortals After Dark, Book 5), which will be out shortly -- and she has left a few other gorgeous immortal hunks waiting in the wings to claim their mates so with luck we'll be seeing a lot more from Cole in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Needs at Night's Edge.