Megan's Reviews > A Girl of the Limberlost

Oct 24, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: fairy-tales
Read in December, 2009

It should not have been as difficult for me to finish this story as it was. It was cheery and happy and all problems were quickly resolved because of the goodness of Eleanora Comstock. Recently I saw the movie "Young Victoria" and it was fun, but dull because of the total lack of conflict in the film. Even when Prince Albert got shot I was unmoved. This book felt much the same to me. There are spurned lovers, poverty, sickness, and moth collecting, all items that should make for good reading. And yet I was bored because I knew that everything was going to resolve itself fairly quickly and turn out the best for everyone. The last chapter was a bit of a trip though. All the characters in the book had to show up again, as well as characters from her other best-selling novels. While reading and rolling my eyes, it occurred to me that this device is exactly the same on used it the end of Wes Anderson films, and I love it there. Which goes to show its not what you do, its how you do it I suppose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl of the Limberlost.