Amanda's Reviews > The Bermudez Triangle

The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson

Jul 26, 14

bookshelves: lgbt, young-adult, favorites

I've read every Maureen Johnson book, I am proud to say. I always turn to her books or her blog when I'm feeling down, because her work is medicine for the soul. The Bermudez Triangle is one of the best Johnson books (right up there with Devilish and Suite Scarlett.) And, though I've read quite a few young adult LGBT novels, I would probably choose The Bermudez Triangle as my favorite if it came down to it. A few people have told me that they found it a bit average. I think The Bermudez Triangle is one of those books that came along at the right time in my life. And I want to talk about what struck me about it.

And I’m sorry of this review is a bit stream-of-conscious.

The thing I love most about Maureen Johnson novels is the atmosphere that she manages to invoke. The Bermudez Triangle, though, would get my vote for Most Atmospheric. And though it is labeled as an LGBT novel the true focus of the story is the friendship of three girls: Nina, Mel, and Avery.

I love these girls. They were the kind of characters that became your friends through the course of the story. They had their own quirks, their own hopes and concerns and their own trials and tribulations to deal with. The descriptions of the world they live in are fresh and familiar. (The weird people you knew in high school? All of the issues big and small that consumed your world? They’re all there.)

The other character I came to love was the sweet and witty Parker. He was what tied the story together and put a bow on top.

Now onto the book itself.

The book goes through the course of a normal school year and is divided into section by holidays. (St. Patrick’s Day, Halloween, Valentine’s Day, etc.) The point of view rotates among Nina, Mel, and Avery who are each dealing with their own problems. Each girl provides a unique perspective of story events which is something that I love to find in a book.

I can’t really pinpoint a favorite part of the book since I love so much of it. Plus I wouldn’t want to accidentally give anything away. I can say, though, that my copy is marked up with dozens of colorful annotation flags—these are mostly witty lines, which this book is chock full of.

And despite what the description might suggest, it’s not a teen melodrama. (This was the first impression I got.) It’s also not a book that’s trying too hard to be spectacular or glamorous. It’s truthful, for lack of a better word, and that’s what made me love it so much.

This book has been challenged in a few places, which is a shame. I want to show my full support of The Bermudez Triangle with this review: not only does it belong in library and bookstore shelves, it belongs in your hands right now. Happy reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bermudez Triangle.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Maureen Johnson
“Irony is the word I forget the meaning of immediately after I look it up, but I kind of feel like I live in a constant state of it.”
Maureen Johnson, The Bermudez Triangle