(NS)Jennifer Reiner's Reviews > Get Ready for Second Grade, Amber Brown

Get Ready for Second Grade, Amber Brown by Paula Danziger

Oct 24, 09

bookshelves: realistic-fiction

Amber Brown is very nervous for second grade. The teacher that she has heard so much about has moved away. Amber is very nervous about what the new teacher will be like. Will she give seven hours of homework? What if she is an alien from another planet? Amber is very nervous, and Hannah Burton doesn't make things easier for her either. When she arrives at school, she meets Ms. Light who looks different than any teacher she's ever met before. Will Ms. Light end up to be a great teacher? As Ms. Light begins a class discussion about light and energy, Amber learns that her names has to do with the word electrons. Everything turns out ok, and Amber is ready and happy for second grade.

I enjoyed reading this story. I think that this story would be a great read to share with my first graders at the end of the year. I think that so much anxiety goes into the following school year and if there is something that I could do to help my students, I'd love that. Sharing a book with the students and having them connect would make them feel like everything will be alright in second grade. Amber is a lovable character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Get Ready for Second Grade, Amber Brown.