Katie Carson's Reviews > A Chair for My Mother

A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams

Oct 24, 09

bookshelves: contemporary-realistic-fiction

Author Vera B. Williams does a wonderful job telling the tale of a young girl and her mother and their dedication to restoring their lives back to normal following a fire that burned all their possessions in their home. The idea of having your home and catch on fire and losing all your possessions is a fear that many of us have. It's a terrible circumstance that everyone can consider how they would handle and begin to rebuild their life after. This common fear and questioning make this book a perfect example of contemporary realistic fiction. "A Chair for My Mother" teaches readers lessons in hard work, empathy and appreciation throughout the story. The pages of this book are filled with bright, beautifully crafted illustrations, outlined by frames that connect one page to the next.
This was one of my favorite books growing up and was thrilled to reconnect with it again!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Chair for My Mother.

Annette I like how you articulate the lessons the book teaches. I think the concept of having less, working for what you have and appreciating it are very important, especially to children in more affluent communities. It is also inspiring to see that everyone has something to give, even those who have little themselves.