Mary's Reviews > The Septembers of Shiraz

The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer

Oct 24, 09

bookshelves: political, historical-fiction
Read in October, 2009

This book tells you about the Iranian revolution through the eyes of one family. The father gets taken away to prison. The mother and young daughter are left at home to live without him, not knowing if he's alive or dead. And a son in his early twenties has been sent abroad and is living in Brooklyn and dealing with starting his own life, bereft of his family, dealing with loneliness. This book does a good job of giving you all of those perspectives. I of course liked the class analysis, or lack thereof. I liked it when the wealthy family was challenged because of their wealth, and what they thought of that, and when the housekeeper was challenged to think outside the box, and what she did with that. The scene from Doctor Zhivago, where they arrive home to their huge house, and it's been taken over by others, and they're told something like "twenty families are living here now," is apt. I also liked the parts of where these people had been exposed to western culture, and appreciated those things (both things like what we call classical music, but also the excesses,) but all of this was being overturned.
A quick, good read. Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Septembers of Shiraz.