Brianna's Reviews > I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever

I Met the Walrus by Jerry Levitan

Oct 24, 09

Recommended for: dreamers
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

Interviewer: What's it like being a Beatle?

George Harrison: What's it like not being a Beatle?

Judging by the limited reviews of this book, it's a story only a Lennon fan would love (although I can't stop being a Lennon fan long enough to test that theory). But it shouldn't be.

////////////

The author was 14 years old in 1969, the year JohnandYoko (it was one word) came to his home town of Montreal to meet the press. Jerry calls upon his resourcefulness and youthful faith (in his quest and in his hero) to gain the name of Lennon's hotel, a press badge, and an audience with the man himself.

John Lennon responds the way we, his adorers, know he will. He is amused and he is amusing. John treats the boy's questions seriously (all of them -- the insightful, the mundane, and even the self-indulging on the part of the interviewer -- who is, I remind you, a 14-year-old boy). He is, most of all, appreciative and generous.

In short, reading this book was a way to spend more time with John Lennon, something all us fans desperately crave.

But, it was also time spent learning how innocence and ingenuity can make your dreams come true. And doesn't that strike a chord with everyone? Or shouldn't it?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Met the Walrus.