Kelli Pearson's Reviews > Bury Me Standing: The Gypsies and Their Journey

1986180
Oct 02, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read from September 23 to October 02, 2010

I'm really enjoying reading this book and Zoli together. It is interesting to read a factual account of the gypsies, or Roma, side by side with a good fiction book of these same people. It makes me appreciate the details, most of which really are based on historical facts. Bury Me Standing, while mostly compelling and interesting, gets just a little slow from time to time, but then I switch to Zoli again. It's a great tag-team combination.

UPDATE: Have now finished Bury Me Standing, and through it I learned quite a lot about gypsies. The book was fairly evenly divided between experiential stories and history. Both were interesting, but sometimes one or the other would drag a little. The author points out several overlaps in the historical experience of Jews and gypsies. Many of the ongoing persecutions and prejudices against the Jews have also been aimed at gypsies (and still are, particularly in Eastern Europe), but the gypsy experience is far less known. A fascinating look into a long-marginalized and misunderstood people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Me Standing.

09/29/2010 page 120