Clare's Reviews > Between the Assassinations

Between the Assassinations by Aravind Adiga

Oct 23, 09

Read in October, 2009

I liked the writing in this book. It is a wry look at India with its good and its bad. It would have started nicely with Dickens' line "It was the best of times; it was the worst of times."

That being said, I have learned from this book that I will never go to India. I know I would be terribly upset over the children begging and would want to save them all somehow. I would throw up if I saw someone defecate in the street. I would be appalled if they urinated on a nearby wall. My idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service. India would not be for me, oh no no.

Somehow each of these stories with the geographical explanation lured me from one chapter to the next. I hated some of what I was reading but I was also fascinated by it. For in spite of differences in sanitary practices, we are all the same beneath the skin. We do what we have to survive. What is normal for an Indian with no money is not what is normal for me. I, therefore, cannot judge this publication without some bias. I want children to have food and shelter and I want them to go to school. I want adults to have jobs, and not take drugs, and treat others with kindness. This doesn't happen in every neighborhood in the US and it doesn't happen in India.

I came away with a great new understanding about human nature being the same no matter where you are but I still wouldn't want to visit this country.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Assassinations.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Nikhil Narang well the book is talking about 30% of the country for rest of India you hav to come here and see it urself... its ur wish not to visit this country but thats not the exact India...

Clare Thank you, Nikhil, for commenting. Perhaps what I know about India is limited. Sometimes I forget that and I am glad you reminded me. My mind is more open now. Thank you for that. Clare Stella

Nikhil Narang The pleasure is all mine clare... it is gud to share thoughts but only those which are backed with lots of thinking.. :P
anyways keep writing, you got a good writing style...

Clare Nikhil wrote: "The pleasure is all mine clare... it is gud to share thoughts but only those which are backed with lots of thinking.. :P
anyways keep writing, you got a good writing style..."

Thank you, Nikhil. I am open to learning more about Inida...any book recommendations? Clare Stella

Nikhil Narang have u read "in spite of gods" by Edward luce? its nice and will tell u few things about India.. will suggest you more books later on... :)
Nikhil Narang