Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Something Wicked This Way Comes

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

One of my favorite "semi-horror" reads. I suppose it could be called "horror" but it doesn't fit neatly into the mold. Like a lot of Bradbury's work the smell of late summer and early fall permeates this volume. The point of view is that of a boy on the brink of manhood as he gets to know more about certain concepts of "good and evil" than he ever really wanted to. I grew up on a farm within walking distance of a small (very small) town and this work hits home with me.

There are books that can become or are iconic. While I don't think this one has reached that point with the general reading public I think it might deserve to. It holds a special place in my library and my "reading history". It reached right down and touched something, possibly because I could feel the nostalgia ruffling through the volume and wafting out of the book with each turn of a page. October with it's mixture of melancholy and fun for children, riding on the edge of a dying summer and setting on the cusp of a holiday season leading us into Thanksgiving and then Christmas...the apex of an American kid's yearly dreams. At least it was for my generation, the one before and the one just after.

Is it that way still? Not as much I fear. Will children of the 90s or 2000s or 2010s have the same capacity for wonder and fantasy as the children of the 40s, 50s, and 60s or even the 70s and 80s? I guess we'll see.

The traveling carnivals that traveled from town to town and showed up at county fairs of my own youth that set the background for this tale with their mysterious denizens, noisy rides, lights that filled the night while leaving pockets of darkness are almost gone. The barkers and their "side shows", the fixed games of "chance" are passing, a thing of a bygone era. Some of that is probably good...but not all. As you join Jim and Will here and delve into the dark and sinister world of Mr. Cooger, Mr. Dark and the Autumn people I suspect you'll see some corollaries to life, but I can't be sure of that. A lot will depend on your own past...and your own capacity for wonder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Wicked This Way Comes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Sloan Mike-
I have to read this!It looks so good.Thanks for the review!

Mike (the Paladin) It's one my wife and I shared. We didn't always agree on books but we did on a few. :)

message 3: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Sloan How are you doing?
am busy with helping my husband's practice.We just had a big scare.Kevin's PSA came back 7.5 and it should be less than 2.0 so I was reliving all of my first husbands sickness and dying.I was so afraid that it was happening again to me-cancer in my husband.We had a repeat PSA which came down to 5.1 but went and saw an urologist anyways.He is going to do a biopsy on Kevin's prostate on the 8th.Wish us luck.I am much better now since his number came down.I don't think that if he had cancer that his PSA would come down.We are just being extra cautious.
I just can't see it happening to us and especially me again.Luckily if by some chance it is cancer then Kevin can have surgery for a cure.I am still somewhat nervous but it's not surprising considering what I have gone through in the past.
I hope that you are well.Let me know how you are doing.
-Jeannie

Mike (the Paladin) Hope things co well, I'll mention you in my prayers.

I'm doing fine. I stay a little sore as I've just gotten started at the Y'. I've been pretty good about my diet (but I plan to cheat tonight, my birthday was a couple of days ago and my daughter brought in a cake which I have yet to have a piece of...planning to have some later). But seem to be doing well.

Hope things go great for you guys..

message 5: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Sloan Thanks Mike...enjoy the cake!

Kara Nice review. This book is one of my classic faves, and holds a special place for me. Oh, and that reminds me, one of my all time faveorite quotes. I really should add that. It suprises me so many have heard the quote, but don't know where it came from.

By the pricking of my thumbs...

Mike (the Paladin) Ah yes...Bill Shakespeare, from Macbeth.

message 8: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou One of my all time greats.

Mike (the Paladin) I can't seem to look back at an older review without finding something to correct.

message 10: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Malena must read this one. Just saw the movie again after many years, and I love the narration. Is the book like that also? It's a movie that reads like a book!

Mike (the Paladin) The movie's okay but this is a case where it's not (as my progenitors would say) "a patch on the book". I recommend it highly, hope you like it.

message 12: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Malena Mike, once again, you and I are on the same track with how we feel about a certain book. I am just beginning this book. Got it for Christmas. I loved the narration in the little movie, so I'm hoping the book has the same flavor.

Mike (the Paladin) I'd say it does only "much more so". I didn't hate the movie I just thought it failed to quite capture the book. Hope you like it.

message 14: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Malena Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I'd say it does only "much more so". I didn't hate the movie I just thought it failed to quite capture the book. Hope you like it."

Oh, I agree with you, Mike. The movie was a bit silly at times. But it did have a little "feel" to it. That's why I knew the book would have so much more. I sometimes say a movie reads like a book.

Becky I just loved this book. I cant believe its taken me this long to get around to Bradbury... not only did I think that he captured October perfectly, but as a Midwestern-er it felt dead on. I could smell fall and youth, and the end of summer coming out of the pages.

message 16: by Mike (new)

Mike Enjoyed your commentary, Mike, and hit the same chords.

message 18: by William (new)

William Have you read The Circus of Doctor Lao?

Mike (the Paladin) Not really too much like this book, quite a bit darker and I guess more disillusioned. Also the victim of a questionable movie attempt....

Amber Great review! I enjoyed reading this book too and the film too. :-)

Mike (the Paladin) Thanks. I've read it several times over the years.