Brandy Painter's Reviews > The Eagle of the Ninth

The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff

Oct 23, 2009

bookshelves: historical-fiction, middle-grade, mystery, young-adult, favorites
Read in September, 2009

Rosemary Sutcliff's work had been recommended to me by several different sources. I am grateful to all for introducing me to this wonderful author. I hate that I have been missing out all these years.

The Eagle of the Ninth is historical fiction set in England during the Roman occupation. It is the story of a young Roman soldier stationed there whose career with the legions is brought to an abrupt end. Looking for a purpose to fulfill him afterwards he goes on a mission that takes him from southern England to the north of Scotland to find the Eagle lost by the missing legion his father commanded and discover the truth about what happened to them.

The language of the book is beautiful and it would make a great read aloud. The history is well researched, the characters fully developed and the plot engrossing. While this book technically falls into children/YA category it is equally engaging for adults to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eagle of the Ninth.