Karen's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

2058054
Jul 24, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, book-club
Read in September, 2009

I loved this book for the heartwarming insight it presented about the German occupation of the island of Guernsey (off of England) during WWII. It was a unique way to present a very interesting slice of history. That's what I love about historical fiction and non-fiction--just when you think you've read all there is to read about an event, a different perspective opens up a whole new dialogue or way of thinking!

I gave it four stars because the book is set up entirely in letter format, which is typically an easy and quick read, but this book had too many characters to pull that off smoothly. If I didn't pick it up for a day or two, I lost track of who was who. It takes much longer for character development with this writing method, and I found myself having to refer back to remind myself who Mark was, etc. This is a book where one of those character trees would have been helpful for the first third or so, but aside from that, I thoroughly enjoyed its charm.