Vanessa's Reviews > The Portable Dorothy Parker

F 50x66
Oct 23, 09

liked it
Recommended to Vanessa by: Jennifer
Recommended for: American literature fans, women's literature fans
Read in October, 2009 , read count: 1

Other than finding the introduction to the edition I read ridiculous to a degree I cannot describe (I guess there is something wrong with me for not glorifying suicide among artists...), I found Dorothy Parker's short story collection to be quite enlightening. It allowed me a chance to look into the lives of women (and men) in the early half of the twentieth century and understand more fully how much and how little we have changed in such a relatively short period of time. I feel much less like referring to "back then" and "in the old days" as an alien time to which I cannot relate. Some of the stories seemed to take themselves a little too seriously, but the majority of them truly hit home for me.

The poetry was less impressive to me only because I do not like to read large collections of poems at once. I found them to be along too common a theme, which is honestly just a personal issue with an easy tendency to boredom on my part.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Portable Dorothy Parker.