Annmarie's Reviews > Finding Nouf

1964916
Nov 29, 09

bookshelves: book-club-appeal, cultural, mystery
Read in November, 2009

Great mystery set in Saudi Arabia. A 16-year-old girl from a wealthy & very religious Saudi family has gone missing just before her wedding. Her brother asks his friend Nayir to find her. Nayir is a devout Muslim & Saudi-Palestinian-semi-adopted-Bedouin desert guide, and when the girl is found drowned, he investigates the cause. Also investigating is Katya, a not-so-devout Saudi woman working at the medical examiner's office. It's the depiction of the culture and interactions between men and women that are really interesting here; the murder mystery is almost secondary. The story moves along quickly and is well paced. Recommended! It would get five stars except the resolution of the mystery feels somewhat improbable and not quite satisfying. Looks like it will be a series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Nouf.

message 1: by Charles (new) - added it

Charles I like books that contextualize a story in an unfamiliar culture, possibly why I read mostly scifi/fantasy. Speaking of which, you might enjoy The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell, the only first contact novel I've read that gets the bewildering experience of being dropped in a completely unfamiliar culture just right.

Annmarie Really? I haven't read that one yet. The religious aspect turned me off. But your "hook" sounds interesting!

message 3: by Charles (new) - added it

Charles It's philosophical rather than religious, though some of the primary characters are religious figures.