Ian's Reviews > Fury

Fury by Salman Rushdie

Oct 27, 09

bookshelves: audio-book
Read in October, 2009

Fury is the story of Malik Solanka, a middle aged British Indian university professor who hsa left his wife and young son to move to New York. He (and many of the other characters in the book) are gripped and often controlled by fury, to the extent that fury herself almost becomes a character.

I arrived in the us at about the same time as Solanka does in this story and while my reasons and circumstances were very different I found that the book captured much of the confusion and alienation I felt arriving in this somewhat familiar country. Even though the book contains fictional people, fictional places (though if you follow world affairs you'll recognise Lilliput-Blefuscu easily) and characters with obviously exagerated physical and emotional characteristics the story feels very real.

Ultimately it's a story of the fury within all of the characters, where it comes from, what it does to them and how or if they overcome it. But it´s capital'L Literature so it´s so much more too. Listening to Rushdie himself read it was a great pleasure.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.