Sara ♥'s Reviews > Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Oct 25, 09

bookshelves: 2009, challenge-fall-2009, chick-lit, cooking, nonfiction, film
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

Finished this at about 1:30 AM. Not because it was enthralling or anything, but because I wanted to get it over with quickly so I could get on to the next book.

I'm a big fan of Food Network. What can I say? I like watching other people cook delicious-looking food I can't smell or eat. (Is this a form of masochism??) So I thought the cooking parts of this book were pretty interesting. The book is about a woman who cooks 524 Julia Child recipes in 365 days, so there's quite a bit of food/grocery shopping/cooking...

The real turn off for me was Julie's personal-life anecdotes... I mean, they were lovely and all until her friend is like, "So, I'm thinking about sleeping with this guy I've been talking to over the internet, but the thing is... he's married with a kid," and Julie's thinks, 'When did I become poster child for the sanctity of marriage? ... all my single friends seem to think I'm some kind of moral authority. I don't do sanctity.' and tells her friend "...let him worry about the state of his marriage..."

I'm sorry, but WHAAAAATTTT??? NO, MA'AM. THAT DOES NOT FLY. How can a married woman look at that situation, and not put herself in the guy's wife's shoes??? Her friend would become THE OTHER WOMAN. That is NOT OKAY. That shocked me, and then proceeded to piss me off.

So like I said in one of my status updates, the cooking stuff was cool, but I really don't think I could be friends with Julie.

I WILL see the movie... but mostly because I have a feeling they took the parts of this book I LIKED and meshed it with Julia Child's story. But I'll wait until it comes to to Redbox in December.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.

10/23/2009 page 5
1.63% "Just starting..."
10/24/2009 page 154
50.16% "Half done. I love Food Network, so the cooking stuff is really interesting... But I don't think I could be friends with this woman..."

Samantha my reply to your review is sooo late but I just picked up this book a couple days ago and just reached that part you mentioned about her friend sleeping with a married man. my reaction was the same as yours! I would not want to meet Julie at all. a part of me does not want to finish the book after reading that part but I'm nearly half way done that I don't want to let it go to "waste"! anyway thanks for sharing and glad to see someone else felt the same way!

Sara ♥ Wow. I read this book 3.5 years ago, and reading your comment and my review has me pissed off at Julie again! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! The cooking is fun though. But I'm totally with you on Julie as a person.