Angela's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Jul 30, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, pub-harp, unfinished-series
Read from July 29 to 30, 2010

I liked this book, especially the ending. The ending was great, plus it felt like the story ended, rather than a cliffhanger continuation for the next book in the series. I hope all the books are like that so the way for book 5 is not too torturous!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

Nikki What? You haven't read these yet? These are quite possibly three of my favorite books ever, and the fourth comes out in March! I will warn you, though, that I didn't actually love this first one until the very very end, so stick it out and then have #2 ready so that you can jump straight into it.

Angela Nope. I saw that you were excited for the 4th book and the story sounds interesting. Is the 4th book the last, or will there be more?

Nikki I talked to one of the Greenwillow editors at the BYU WIFYR, and she said there will probably be six of them. The bad news is that Megan Whalen Turner is averaging four years between each book.

Angela GAH!!! Four years?? You're killing me, Smalls!

So, is it YA since it's from Greenwillow? Do the books end pretty well (ie: no cliffhangers) even though the series isn't finished?

Nikki No cliffhangers. Each one is a "tidy" chapter in the saga. You just LOVE the characters so much that you'll want the next one so you can stay with them longer. And yeah, it's considered YA.

Angela Good to know. I'll start is now then instead of waiting an estimated 8 more years for the series to finish!

I am gaining a greater appreciation for how much work goes into writing a story (even a crappy one!), but seriously? Does it really take 4 years to write a book once you get the ball rolling and are getting paid to do it?

Nikki On the flip side, I'm super annoyed with Scholastic for pushing Suzanne Collins too fast with Catching Fire. I think getting sequels out within a year is unreasonable, and the writing suffers (that book could have been so much better, the pacing tighter, the descriptions more detailed). I do agree that 4 yrs is extreme, but it makes me love Greenwillow and want to publish with them for being that patient and allowing her to make the books what she wants them to be.

Wait 'til you read them! There are sentences and whole paragraphs that I have to whisper out loud just to feel and savor the shape of them, and yet they don't bog down the pace of the story at all. They're simply these beautiful moments that she captures PERFECTLY.

Angela Hmmm. Well, there's something to be said about allowing an author TOO much time to write a book and then not helping them adequately polish it up. I read a sequel book last year that took several years to come out and was just awful. I wonder how much of your issues with CF and mine with this book were due to editors not standing up to the author? Or maybe we're just being overly picky?

I'll have to check this series out now after all your high praise!

Nikki Yeah, I'm sure it's a balance for an editor: knowing when to allow the writer more time and when to insist on deadlines. On my end, I know that I can meet deadlines, so I keep my ears open to find out which editors will care more about the book being ready in every sense rather than a hard-and-fast deadline. After all, even if I meet the deadline, it doesn't necessarily mean that the book won't need another draft. I think an editor and author should be on the same page on that, and that's my number one criteria. I refuse to sign with a publishing house that pushes books out before they're ready.

Nikki Hooray! I'm so glad you finally read this and liked it. Trust me, books 2 and 3 are twice as good as this one.

Angela Yeah, it was good! I was expecting it to be, I was just holding off because of Book 5. But now I guess I'm committed to the rest of the books! :) I read your review, and I didn't think there were inconsistencies in the beginning & end of the story. I thought it was genius how much was planned from the very beginning of the adventure! When the twists started being revealed, I guessed a few of the details but not all of them and it was a lot of fun to find out all the info at the end. Books 2, 3, & 4 should be at the library by Tuesday, so I guess I know what I'll be doing all week!

Nikki I'm excited for you! I reread them all in March over a weekend and loved every page.