dgw's Reviews > Start-up Nation: The Story of Israel's Economic Miracle

Start-up Nation by Dan Senor

Jan 14, 10

bookshelves: business, first-reads, own
Read in January, 2010

I was very excited about this book when I found out that I'd won it from Goodreads Giveaways (First Reads). The description given in the giveaway section drew me in; a book about Israel and business had to be just awesome!

Diving right in to it the day I got it, I immediately knew my expectations would be met. However, I didn't know how much they'd be exceeded. The book is extremely well written and edited; while I was reading, I encountered maybe one minor grammatical mistake—an extraordinarily low count, considering that most books I've read have at least a few. The non-traditional organization works well, going off on tangents and tying them flawlessly into the main idea. Chapters can span Israel's entire history, or focus on one specific part.

The book draws heavily on cited sources, all of which can be found in the back. I didn't use the footnotes (too much work, and I was too engrossed to be flipping around), but the "Notes" and "Bibliography" sections have a wealth of resources for further reading. From the bibliography, I have already extracted several books and articles to put on my list, and I expect to get more.

Unlike the last book I won, I immensely enjoyed every page of this book. I didn't want to finish it because it was so good. But I learned a lot, and have gained resources for learning more. Start-Up Nation is one of the most informative books I have ever read, and anyone who has even a passing interest in Israel or business should read it.

Now I can turn my attention to We Look Like the Enemy, my next First Reads win.

Just received the book this morning (2009-12-02). Begun reading; it's engrossing right from the start. An interesting coincidence that a book I picked up at B&N just the other day was also published by Twelve.

I was just notified today (2009-10-26) that I have won a copy of this book through Goodreads' First Reads program. I should receive the book within the next few weeks, and I have put it at the top of my to-read list. My review will be posted as soon as possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Start-up Nation.

12/01/2009 page 10
3.29% "Immediately engrossing."
12/06/2009 page 170
55.92% "Now I'm unhappy. I passed the halfway point. :-("
12/21/2009 page 225
74.01% "No! I do not want to be on the last chapter! I like this book too much to finish it."
01/13/2010 page 304
100.0% "Crap. I finished this book over New Year's vacation. Now I have to review it. (That's not the big deal—I just didn't want to finish!)"
show 2 hidden updates…