Karey's Reviews > The Prophet

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

Jan 03, 08

bookshelves: spirituality, bettering-myself
Recommended for: anyone looking for a breath of fresh air
Read in January, 2008

Now that I'm reading The Prophet again, words that I read twenty-seven years ago still ring clearly in my mind as I read them again today. It was a wonderful moment a few evenings ago to find myself reciting aloud and from memory passages that had struck me then--and now--to the very core. Kahlil Gibran spent a couple of years revising The Prophet. Since it is a short book, the concepts come across as distilled. The influences of his native Lebanon as well as his love for scripture, come through in the scriptural-like language. I am savoring this book slowly this time, taking little sips at a time.
96 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet.

Judith So true for me too!

Lizzie I read The Prophet years ago and it also had very strong personal importance for me. Years later I discovered a diary of my mother's, who died when I was young, and discovered her love The Prophet as well. The diary had quotations from The Prophet on every page and my mother had made notation about some of them that really rang in her soul too. It is an amazing connection I now have with her and am always awed by the power of true art to connect through generations and time.

Sahir D'souza. Larry, your review is short, but very accurate. I think, too, that the book is very lovely. Kahlil Gibran's writing is beautiful! My favourite essay was 'On Children'. I hope you all enjoy it!

Sahir D'souza. Sorry, not Larry, Karey.

Marc-Lee Tierney Well said

message 6: by Demetrius (new) - added it

Demetrius Pinder Reading it for the first time and I'm happy to hear that "taking little sips at a time" is truly the best way to take in this book.

message 7: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff My favorite passage was "one know's not the depth of Love until the hour of separation"
Love it!
Like fine wine little sips