Rob's Reviews > Night World, No. 2

Night World, No. 2 by L.J. Smith

Nov 11, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, young, horror-thriller
Read in October, 2009

This is obviously written for teenagers, but it's not bad for all that. In fact, I rather enjoyed it, overall. At least the author provides a reason for all 'made' (lamia, hereditary vampires, are another matter) vampires being teenagers—apparently, the process of transformation will kill anyone older than nineteen.

The only real problem I have with the book, that's inserted into all three stories, is the rather saccharine "soulmate' principle; the idea that everyone in the world has one perfect match that he or she can be happy with in this lifetime and the next and the next, in once case at least. Strikes me as a raw deal for some, but I suppose that's life, or unlife as the case may be. It wouldn't be quite so bad were it not a fundamental principle of Smith's world, one that is now, according to some, trying to change the very way the Night World and the (day world?) human world interact. The idea that love conquers all is, I suppose, too much, in this incarnation, anyway, for a doddering old cynic like me to buy.

But odds are, when I was a teenager I would have loved—scratch that, as a teenager, I would have been profoundly depressed by it. But that's another story.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night World, No. 2.

10/22/2009 page 25