Vicki Davis's Reviews > Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns

Disrupting Class by Clayton M. Christensen

Oct 22, 2009

liked it
Read in January, 2011

This is a very good book until the last chapter where it seems to draw a conclusion that the only way to fix education is with charter school type approaches. For example, we could all have a perfect house with an unlimited budget to build a new one but eventually it would show faults! We can't just build new houses. Although Hercules cleaned out the Agean stables- if they didn't remedy their ways it would fill up with filth again. Sometimes we don't step out of the box- we create new boxes! Perhaps all of the education options should learn to collaborate? Use technology to link up.

So, great book, I just disagree with conclusion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disrupting Class.

10/22/2009 page 35

Cathy Vicki,
I really enjoyed this book. A good "companion" for it is Tony Wagner's The Global Achievement Gap: Why Even Our Best Schools Don't Teach the New Survival Skills our Children Need -- and What We Can Do About it." Finally, there's a new book out by Chubb & Moe called Liberating Learning. It's a scathing indictment of the status quo, but also has some interesting insights.

message 2: by Clint (new)

Clint Heitz I appreciate the thoughtful comment. Oddly enough, I had the same reaction to Daniel Pink's DRIVE. It seems everyone just wants to throw the baby out with the bath water!