Jamie's Reviews > Manhood for Amateurs

Manhood for Amateurs by Michael Chabon

1993961
Mar 22, 11

bookshelves: true-stuff-and-criticism

I read this book in its entirety on my trip home today. It was the perfect airplane book - each essay is just a few pages so even if I was a little uninterested at least Chabon moved to another topic soon.

I really didn't need the first section or two. I'm getting tired of liberal parents lamenting the loss of traditional childhood experiences for their children (even if I agree - I support the argument even if I'm tired of reading the diatribes). But I enjoyed it when he moved past that whole deal and started writing more personal, less cliche essays.

But really? I feel like I should say this in a little voice, as my husband and I came into this relationship with two copies of Kavalier and Clay and have since pilfered a first edition from his father to bring our total to three (we like having every version of our favorite books - it's a disease), but I bet Michael Chabon is insufferable to be around. I have no basis for this but his own writing, and I'm not saying he's Franzen, but... Yeah. Insufferable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manhood for Amateurs.