Malbadeen's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Oct 22, 2009

bookshelves: young-adult, childrens-young-adult

I was surprised by how much I liked this book. I really like Alexie's short stories, so I guess I should be but still: some people I really respect (hi Sarah, hi Micheal) didn't LOVE it so I expected to be less than impressed.

My opinion could've been swayed by the fact that I listened to it read by him which certainly affected the tone within a few weeks of seeing him in person where he was hilarious and gracious.

Regardless..I thought it was great! I thought Junior was self aware without being pitiful or pathetic.

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the paragraphs describing his grandma. I loved his re-union with his best friend the "I love you, ass-hole" thing. I liked that some people at the high school were jerks and some were not. I hate it when YA novels paint everyone zebra black and white.

Possibly my favorite line was, "All of us are always 5 years old in the presence AND absence of our parents".

I realize this wont tell you much about the book if you've not read it. I'm okay with that. I still think if you're going to read Alexie, his short stories are a better place to start and I think you might end up with this very fast read and I think you'll like it and all but mostly I think if Sherman Alexie is speaking or reading anywhere near you, you should definitely go hear him!

The only thing I didn't like was that he used the word scintillating 2 times, in a close enough time frame that I noticed it and that ker-plunked my brain and I didn't care for that.

10/22/2009 page 536464
100%
10/23/2009 page 536464
100% "Best line so far, "I wanted to kiss the book. yes, I am a book kisser"."
10/23/2009 page 64
27.83% "lines to love: "I wanted to kiss the book. yes, I am a book kisser" "she wanted to get smudged and I was the smudge""
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim This is on our Green Mountain Book Award list, Marie... I came really, really close to picking this up at the library this afternoon... Next time, for sure. :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 24, 2009 10:39PM) (new)

I liked it, I just expected to love it and I didn't. Listening to him read would be great--probably better, but did you know the print version is fully illustrated? Almost like a Diary of a Wimpy Kid amount of illustration. I still think listening would be better, though, because I second that he was hilarious live. So funny!

Here are some pages:

Jackie "the Librarian" I liked this one a lot, probably because I wasn't sure if I would. But I love underdog stories, and this one is set here in Washington state, too.

message 4: by Malbadeen (last edited Oct 25, 2009 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Malbadeen WHAT IN THE WHAT! There were drawings inside?! Holy schmig-a-rolly! I did not know that. I always admire the cover but I guess I've never actually picked it up. Maybe I'll get it, so I can look at the drawings and so I can save it for Henry (for when he gets OLDER of course, like when he's 32 and finds out about masturbating and wants to kiss girls).

message 6: by Mmb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mmb I also really appreciated Alexie's not making all the students in the high school the same- some were kinder than others, etc. I think that many books make "kid-goes-to-new-school" cliches. Alexie avoided this quite nicely.