Eliza's Reviews > Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman

Oct 22, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in October, 2009

I didn't have any interest in reading this when it came out, and I'm not sure why I did now. I have no conception of pop culture. None. This is not the book for me. I also find the author's pretentious/self-deprecating of his own pretension style of writing to be.. . pretentious. And grating.

However, once I decided to lightly skim the chapters of positively no relevance to me (such as ode to Billy Joel or an analysis of the Celtics vs Lakers rivalry) and only focus on the ones I could relate to (including the one that took place at Mainstreet Bar and Grill in Harrisonburg, Virginia*! I do believe I danced on a speaker there once!), I found it more enjoyable and even quite funny at times. I don't really agree with most of the author's espoused opinions, but at times I wasn't sure he did, either.

*Apparently the chapter on Paradise City, the GNR cover band, playing a show at Mainstreet Bar and Grill was so compelling as to inspire one friend of mine to want to visit the venue. If you feel similarly, I'm sorry to tell you Mainstreet Bar and Grill is no more. It has been replaced with a nice, fairly upscale restaurant featuring a lot of exposed brick, the most amazing bathroom sink I've ever seen, and a slightly ambitious cocktail menu.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.