Jocelyn's Reviews > A Shilling for Candles

A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey

Oct 22, 09

Read in October, 2009

What will I do when I have read all the decent English-language mystery novels in the world. It's been a very long time since I read anything by Josephine Tey but I see that I will have to read some more soon. This was an entertaining story with a dead celebrity actress, her husband the duke, and all her other hangers-on. Eventually I will read all my reviews of these mystery stories that get marketed to middle-aged women. Then I will be able to list the characteristics of the genre, such as attractive and often upper-crust detectives, gutsy women, dysfunctional families, resort (or close to it) settings, and young (and sometimes middle-aged) love. This one had the gutsy woman, the dysfunctional family, the beach, young children who evoke your sympathy, and the young love. In the Bleak Midwinter had the attractive detective, the gutsy woman, two dysfunctional families, the Adirondacks, an abandoned infant, and young love.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Shilling for Candles.