Mandy Spaulding's Reviews > Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik

Oct 22, 2009

Read in October, 2009

This is such a good book - I would recommend it to all of my friends, especially my women friends. It is sort of like a "chick flick" but in a book, and better.

It is simply written, I can't say that it's literary genius or anything, the writing is good - it's the perfect summer read.

It's the story of a group of women, who live in the same neighborhood... and have a book club. They are literally all different shapes and sizes ;) and live different lives, have different values, different histories and different opinions.

But what really struck me in reading this is that it truly is a story about the place that female friendships have in women lives.

I have at times, as has everyone else I know, been a guys girl, or had trouble forming bonds with women, because of insecurity, jealousy, and the like.

But what the last year or so of my life has proven to me - over and over again - is that the women in my life are entirely necessary. They are the ones who give me strength, tell me like it is, laugh with me, cry with me, build me up, put me in my place, and truly "get" what it's like to be a woman muddling through the human condition.

I'm so lucky to have those friendships, and this book was a perfect book for me to be reading this summer... in the final stages of my wedding planning... with all of my best friends bustling around...

The book is creative in that it spans 3 decades, and you see bits of US history throughout it. The chapters are written from the perspective of a different book club member ... it alternates, so you'll hear from Audrey, then Merit, the Slip, then Faith... etc, then repeat...

The author also picked books that were being read at the time... so even though you didn't really ever hear much about the books being read ;) you are reminded again of the social culture of the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons.