Amy's Reviews > Prospect Park West

Prospect Park West by Amy Sohn

Dec 15, 09

Read in December, 2009

I got sucked into this book though it was a somewhat guilty pleasure! All 4 main characters are pretty loathsome, yet each of them stated some ugly truth about motherhood at some point or another that I couldn't help relating to. The Melora character, however, is so ridiculous that she seems to be more of a caricature (then again maybe some celebrities really do think and act like that!) I don't live in Park Slope but I am a New York mom and Sohn definitely captures some of the unique difficulties of being a mom to young children in this city.

I presume Rebecca is the doppelganger for the author (same physical traits and occupation). At one point she was so harsh, I had to stop and say "gosh, I hope she doesn't REALLY feel this way about motherhood." I went to her bio to find a loving mention of her husband and child that would offer a rebuttal to that thought but none were there. So then I looked for a mention of them in the acknowledgements--still nothing. And no dedication either. Hmmm....maybe Sohn really shares Rebecca's views!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prospect Park West.