Brian's Reviews > A Happy Death

A Happy Death by Albert Camus

Oct 10, 07

Read in January, 1998

the first time i remember hearing about camus was in sophomore year of highschool in my english class. i had seen the name in a salinger book prior, and my teacher had a large poster of albert on the wall looking bored, french, and troubled. i mispronounced his name as "cam-uss", saying it like a true american teenager. we read "the stranger" in class, like most teens. the teacher gave me special assignments to read more camus.

this is the book he wrote at the age of 19, prior to "the stranger". you'll notice some of the same skeleton of a plot, yet a vast and wide departure from the more famous story. it was published after camus' death, and even though most critics discount it as simple "juvenalia" or write it off as an immature text, i find it to be as refreshing as anything he ever wrote. even more impressive is that it contains just about as powerful of a statement of camus' beliefs as any other book he wrote, yet this one was a decade or two before his major works. it's nice to know he was ruminating on the same points at such an "immature" state of his life.

patrice mersault, one of the greatest ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Happy Death.