JJ's Reviews > Pants on Fire

520752
Oct 10, 07

bookshelves: yafiction
Read in July, 2007

I'm new to Meg Cabot, and this was the first book of hers that I had read. I know she's the Queen of teen lit, so I was a little suprised when I read this book. It wasn't what I had expected.

Meg Cabot tries to write like a teen would talk, saying things like "not" or what seems to be her favorite word, "macking," which means kissing or making out, of course. And she says these words - a lot. After about the fifth "macking" I almost gave up. But I stuck with it, and my final verdict is "so-so."

The main character, Katie, is just not very likeable. I know the point of these teen books is to have a total transformation at the end, a sort of "a ha!" moment, but Katie's big speech at the end was so unrealistic and... pointless. And her relationship with supposed bad boy Tommy Sullivan was a bit boring. Perhaps she should have centered the book on Tommy instead.

I'm sticking with Meg Cabot though. I want to know her secret for selling so many books as I hope to write some YA fiction myself. :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pants on Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie I didn't like Katie much either. And I agree, the slang was a little out of control.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you. The slang was all over the place. And this book isn't one of Meg Cabot's best. I consider it one of the worst by her.

Jenazepol This is my least favorite meg cabot book. I like Avalon High and Teen Idol. They are much better, mainly because the main characters are more likable.