Hannah's Reviews > Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison

Feb 09, 10

bookshelves: ya, humor, 2010-reads
Recommended to Hannah by: 'Lil sis and Miss T!!
Recommended for: People who don't mind snorting
Read in February, 2010

WHAT
A
HOOT...

This was probably the best use of 2.5 hours that I've spent since reading Bill Bryson's, "A Walk in the Woods".

Brit comedian/author Louise Rennison takes on the teen female mindset with hilariosity and realism. Rennison's nailed the feelings, the drama-queen world-view and the all-or-nothing attitude down pat. Our heroine, Georgia Nicolson, may be British, and a good 32 years my junior, but I too was Georgia...once upon a time.

I laughed out loud, I snorted, I chuckled and I generally made such an arse of myself that I managed to annoy my daughter in the privacy of our living room. Georgia would surely have thought me a wally prat, and she wouldn't be off the mark.

In short, "Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging" pokes sarcastic fun of all that it is to be young, insecure and 14, but does so in a way that leaves you no doubt that Rennison remembers, understands and celebrates girl-dom. I loved it, and look forward to further adventures with Georgia, Angus, Libby, Jas and the SG (sex god).
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging.

Heather Oh you are going to love this one Big Sis! ;)

Hannah Sounds like. You and T were pretty fulsome in your praises!

I think the titles are hysterical~

Heather These books will make you laugh at loud more than once, and I know there is a scene in this first one especially that had me laughing so hard I cried. This character reminds me a lot of myself actually, which is kinda sad, but what can ya do? lol

Hannah Heather wrote: "These books will make you laugh at loud more than once, and I know there is a scene in this first one especially that had me laughing so hard I cried. This character reminds me a lot of myself act..."

If they make me LOL, then I'll love them, as I can only think of 1 writer EVER who makes me LOL (Bill Bryson, BTW).

I think my favorite books have elements of "me" in them - that's cause I'm such a fascinating person....perhaps we are kindred after all, yes?

Heather Yes, you will probably be able to see yourself in Georgia as well, especially if you have ever accidentaly on purpose shaved off your eyebrows or bleeched your hair with cleaning products...

Crystal The eyebrow incident made me realize I was going to love this book =) which scene made you laugh so hard you cried Heather?

Hannah Heather wrote: "Yes, you will probably be able to see yourself in Georgia as well, especially if you have ever accidentaly on purpose shaved off your eyebrows or bleeched your hair with cleaning products..."

haha!! This should be good!

Tatiana I think I was sold when Gee took snogging classes and when she accidentally got to #8 on a date with that neighborhood whelk boy Mark.

Heather The #8 scene made me laugh in rememberance, except my #8 incident happened with a Zach, not a Mark, but Zack did have a large Gob as well, plus he drooled and had weird breath.

The eyebrow thing again reminded my of my stupidity, but sadly, I was 16 when I did this and not 14. I have had bangs ever since.

But the one that made me laugh till I cried was the hair incident, cause I used bleach to dye my hair when my mutti wouldn't let me color it and a hunk came out in a guys hand when we were making out in the theatre, oo-er. I was 14.

Tatiana I am sooo happy you liked it. I love Georgia:)

Heather That was a marvey review Big sis, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book.

Hannah There were so many lol moments that I can't think of them all, but I especially loved the part where she made her arm go numb just so she could lay it on her boobs to see how it would feel.

The group levitation (summoning the devil) also caused me to cackle. I remember doing that at every slumber party I went to.

And the Brit dictionary was hysterical. I'm glad Rennison put it in there, as I was clueless about so much of the Brit slang. I'm going to start using "having the painters over" more often....at least once a month :o

Really, really cute book.

Heather I too did the whole levitation thing. I agree, major lol moment when she felt herself up, also when she shaved off her eyebrow (cause I too did that) and when her hair fell out in her hand after she used cleaning products to dye it ( I used bleach), lol.

Hannah Heather wrote: "I too did the whole levitation thing. I agree, major lol moment when she felt herself up, also when she shaved off her eyebrow (cause I too did that) and when her hair fell out in her hand after sh..."

You were a little devil, weren't you! Gave your mutti some anxious times no doubt!

Heather Her favorite was when I took it upon myself to shave my legs at the age of 8 and sliced my legs up so bad I had to go to the ER. I don't know why she couldn't just learn to endulge me with such things when I asked for her help, she would have saved us both a lot of trouble. lol

message 16: by Hannah (last edited Feb 09, 2010 07:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah Heather wrote: "Her favorite was when I took it upon myself to shave my legs at the age of 8 and sliced my legs up so bad I had to go to the ER. I don't know why she couldn't just learn to endulge me with such thi..."

Holy crap! That sounds painful. Poor you (and poor mom). I must say, after hearing everything you did, you must have really related to this book in a big way.

You story reminds me of the part where Georgia sees Lindsay's shaven hoohah and is incredulous since she scalped her legs with a razor and could not imagine using a razor to do *that*. LOL.

Heather Yes, I feel as though G is my soul sister, lol.

I loved that scene. Though, I don't have the same fears about the hoohah as G, inspite of my history ;)

Tatiana They made a movie out of books 1 and 2. I've seen it. It's cute, but differs from the books a lot.

Hannah The movie is adorable. I watched it before I read the first book, and I think it captured alot of the spirit of the book.

Very cute!

Heather It is cute, but not nearly as much as the books, none of the characters looked as I pictured, events were altered, and some of the hilariosity in print didn't translate on the big screen.

message 21: by Hannah (last edited Feb 11, 2010 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah Hmm, I had a different reaction then you, which probably has alot to do with the fact that I watched the movie *before* reading the book, and you did the opposite. I think watching something generally pre-disposes you to have a certain image in your mind going into a book.

In an unscientific study conducted by myself on myself, I can think back to more movies-from-books that I've liked if I watched them before reading them. Conversely, when I read a book and then see the movie adaptation, I'm usually more nit-picky.

Heather I think that your study, done by yourself, on yourself, has significant results. I agree.

Hannah On behalf of the Society of Unscientific Research (SUR), I thank you.

Sincerely,
Dr. HannahR, esquire
Head Muck-wamp

Hannah Chandra wrote: "I have conducted that same unscientific study and come to the same conclusions ;-)"

Ah! Another member of SUR! Welcome.
Now give me the secret handshake so I know you're a legit member - lol~

Heather I see you lawyered up, lol

Hannah Heather wrote: "I see you lawyered up, lol"

Sadly, one must these days :(