Tina's Reviews > A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam

A History of God by Karen Armstrong

May 10, 10

Read from March 22 to April 19, 2010

Armstrong wrote a solid book here. I feel I learned a lot having read it, including a few pieces of trivia that are just fun to throw out in conversation. This book is chock full of information and for the most parts I found it interesting. However, I think I have a better understanding of the three Abrahamic religions than the average American and I think that understanding was important to my having learned from this book, because when I got to the chapter on mysticism which I know nothing about, it took forever and I felt lost. That is mostly because Armstrong seemed to be working from the premise that her reader is educated. Although it took me longer to read because I had to work harder at reading than I usually do, I enjoyed nearly every minute of it. However, when one is writing that full of information and expecting that amount of higher level thinking, one needs to use some organizational method beyond your basic chapter separations. Had Armstrong included sub-headings, diagrams, timelines, or maps that are referenced in the text, it would have clarified the writing and made the book both more enjoyable and helped the reader absorb even more of the densely packed book.
This review is copied from my blog bibliophilebet.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A History of God.