Discover new books on Goodreads
Meet your next favorite book:
Sign in with Facebook
> Changing My Mind: Occasional Essays
Want to Read
Want to Read
Error rating book. Refresh and try again.
Rate this book
1 of 5 stars
2 of 5 stars
3 of 5 stars
4 of 5 stars
5 of 5 stars
Changing My Mind: Occasional Essays
Feb 07, 10
5 of 5 stars
Read in February, 2010
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read
Changing My Mind
Sign In »
show 2 hidden updates…
Post a comment »
(showing 1-1 of 1)
Feb 14, 2010 03:51PM
Zadie Smith is fierce! She has made me certain of three things:
1. I can become the writer of my dreams.
2. However, at present, I am frightfully out of my league and need to read-up, smarten-up, keep up and do a lot of work that propels one up.
3. Oh, what glorious fun it is to be welcomed into such a nimble, insatiable mind!
Also, see the reviews by Jesse Ataide and Emily Geddes because each one finely says everything I thought and wanted to say, but they said it first and better.
Of course I just need to add my absolute favorites from the collection:
1. The first essay about Zora Neale Hurston is one of the greatest testimonies to a novel I've ever encountered.
2. The review of Shopgirl made me guffaw. It was so on-point that I not only felt Ms. Smith and I should be chums, but I seriously wondered if she'd invaded my and made sense of my thoughts. Everything I felt when watching that movie she so hilariously and aptly captured in her review.
3. Katharine Hepburn was tremendous and so is Smith's reflection on the life of my very favorite actress of all-time.
4. "Accidental Hero" cemented in my heart and mind the importance of "remembering" but also of acknowledging - who our parents are as people and how vital this recognition can become to us as adults.
back to top
post a comment »
Add a reference:
Search for a book to add a reference
Flagging a post will send it to the Goodreads Customer Care team for review. We take abuse seriously in our discussion boards. Only flag comments that clearly need our attention. As a general rule we do not censor any content on the site. The only content we will consider removing is spam, slanderous attacks on other members, or extremely offensive content (eg. pornography, pro-Nazi, child abuse, etc). We will not remove any content for bad language alone, or being critical of a particular book.
© 2015 Goodreads Inc
Welcome back. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account.