Danita's Reviews > Changing My Mind: Occasional Essays

Changing My Mind by Zadie Smith

Feb 07, 10

Read in February, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changing My Mind.

12/12/2009 page 34
show 2 hidden updates…

Danita Zadie Smith is fierce! She has made me certain of three things:
1. I can become the writer of my dreams.
2. However, at present, I am frightfully out of my league and need to read-up, smarten-up, keep up and do a lot of work that propels one up.
3. Oh, what glorious fun it is to be welcomed into such a nimble, insatiable mind!

Also, see the reviews by Jesse Ataide and Emily Geddes because each one finely says everything I thought and wanted to say, but they said it first and better.

Of course I just need to add my absolute favorites from the collection:
1. The first essay about Zora Neale Hurston is one of the greatest testimonies to a novel I've ever encountered.
2. The review of Shopgirl made me guffaw. It was so on-point that I not only felt Ms. Smith and I should be chums, but I seriously wondered if she'd invaded my and made sense of my thoughts. Everything I felt when watching that movie she so hilariously and aptly captured in her review.
3. Katharine Hepburn was tremendous and so is Smith's reflection on the life of my very favorite actress of all-time.
4. "Accidental Hero" cemented in my heart and mind the importance of "remembering" but also of acknowledging - who our parents are as people and how vital this recognition can become to us as adults.