Cara's Reviews > Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

Jul 14, 14

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, male-protagonist, paranormal, series, awesome-covers, books-made-into-movies
Read in January, 2010

"Mortals. I envy you. You think you can change things. Stop the universe. Undo what was done long before you came along. You are such beautiful creatures."
Doesn't that line just give you the shivers?!?!?!?

I doubt that they are people who will read this and not have a big impression. What am I saying?! I mean a HUGE impression. You know when you read a book and just immerse yourself in it? I'm sure most of you know the feeling. I kept reading into the night having no semblance of sleep,and staying awake on interest alone. I could not believe my eyes when I looked at the window when I finished the book to see light peeking out. Suffice to say I'm hooked.

This book is told through our male protagonist Ethan Wate, which was refreshing. There isn't any real good way to describe him other than devoted I think. Ethan lives in the boring southern town of Gatlin, where nothing changes and the Civil War is called the war of Northern Aggression. Nothing of note happens and there aren't really any secrets but really nothing can be further from the truth. This town is hopping with secrets, really really juicy ones. Ethan doesn't come to realize this until a new girl, Lena, comes into town. Now this is where our story begins...

Gosh there is so much to say but I doubt I could get it all done. This book has mystery (a lot of it), Southern culture (a character in itself), magic (like you have never seen before), and one of the best romances I've seen lately (no joke). Can you tell I like parentheses a tad too much? Don't answer that. Any who I have to commend the authors of telling a story that I could no way tell it was written by two people. The writing is seamless and draws you in no matter what is happening. Reading this is a bit of an undertaking because it is a 500 some odd pages and has a lot of back story, but it's totally worth it. My favorite character would have to be Amma (Ethan's no nonsense fill in parent since his mother died). What makes this story work is that there is such rich descriptions of the characters, their lives, the surroundings, and even the minor characters jump out at you. One little teeny irk: I doubt Ethan would notice way too much about what everybody was wearing, but I guess how else were we suppose to know? The ending clearly indicates there will be a sequel, or there BETTER be one! I kept trying to guess how to solve it, but I didn't get it till the end. Some things I could see coming because you know it really could never end another way.

Basically this is a story of a boy who loves a girl but it's with the extra touch of magic.

Later note: Found out there is a sequel! Check out Beautiful Darkness. It looks like the first one is being made into a movie! And on another later note here is a link to the trailer. Looks smashing!
365 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Creatures.

Quotes Cara Liked

Kami Garcia
“You're so full of crap, you could pass for a toilet.”
Kami Garcia, Beautiful Creatures

Margaret Stohl
“Aunt Mercy put down her tiles, one at a time. I-T-C-H-I-N.
Aunt Grace leaned closer to the board, squinting. "Mercy Lynne, you're cheatin' again! What kinda word is that? Use it in a sentence."
"I'm itchin' ta have some a that white cake."
"That's not how you spell it." At least one of them could spell. Aunt Grace pulled one of the tiles off the board. "There's no T in itchin'." Or not.”
Margaret Stohl, Beautiful Creatures

01/14/2010 page 95
01/17/2010 page 576
100% "Review coming...I stayed up till 7 am to finish. *yawn*" 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Tori 7?! Crazy lady. Must have been good.

Cara Haha yeah it was beyond good:D It's the lastest I have ever stayed up for a book.

Tori ...Earliest...? lol. I need to read this soon. Effin midterms.

Cara Ha I guess you could say that! Definitely put on the top of your to-read list when you can. Well at least I hope you like it as much as I did. Oh yes those ugly things, I wish you luck on them:D

Tori Yeah, I will. I just wanna finish the 2 from the library so I can bring them back. I'll def. read this next. Thanks. :) 2 down, 4 to go. And the stupid asshat that proctored my 2nd exam wouldn't fuckin let me go to the bathroom. That pisses me off so much, No pun intended. I mean, why do you think there are bathroom in school? To use? No to torture us. I can't control when I have to pee! Fuck you mr spaz. Fuck you. Sorry 'bout that...

Cara Being saucy huh? I use to HATE that. I can tell you this they let you go to the bathroom in college (even during finals but they do follow to see where you are going). Sometimes you got to roll the punches (even if it REALLy sucks). Even if they are stupid punches. Wait that sounds weird but you get what I mean.

Tori I know, I swear when I'm mad. Sorry. :{ I get you. I mean, all they ever say is they're preparing us for the real world. Well HELLO! Did you know that in the "REAL WORLD" grown ups can go to the bathroom when they want? Hell, even in college you don't have to ask. Plus, in college you can LEAVE WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH YOUR EXAM. I HATE HIGH SCHOOL. I don't mind, I can understand it. The being followed thing.

Cara No prob really:) Yeah that aspect isn't really helping you do better in the real world like at all. All you're doing is making your bladder work too hard so that it feels it's gonna explode. It isn't even good for your health! Don't worry it will be over soon enough:) Not every single proffessor follows you just some and just on finals. Yeah you can leave when you're done. No twiddling (sp?) thumbs and staring at the ceiling:D

Tori I know!!! It almost did!!! UGH! I don't mind. Do they care if you text? I find it rude, but just wondering. I HATE twiddling my thumbs! I had to do that today!! My frickin iPod died and then I was SUPPOSED to have a 2nd exam but my teacher NEVER SHOWED. UGH. Then she said she was going to be there at 11:30. WELL NOW. HOW ABOUT AT 9:50 WHEN YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE?! Oh and she said she e-mailed me. Well, I don't usually check my e-mail at 6 IN THE FRICKIN MORNING. But I did! AND THERE WAS NO E-MAIL. UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! BITE ME! Now I have to do it AT HOME. And I didn't know anything on my chem exam! At least I can go out to breakfast friday, right? Mental breakdown in 3.. 2.. 1.

So... how was your day? :D

message 10: by Cara (last edited Jan 20, 2010 06:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Man you have had a day! You know how teachers are they act like they can do whatever. In college they treat you better cause you have to do an evaulation on them towards the end of the course. Hmmm... I mean all of them frown upon it but you could probably get away with it in big classes. Most of the classses (at least where I'm at) it set up kind of like an auditorium you know where you go up steps to sit your sit. Some of them have long tables some have kind of thearter like chairs (in no way as comfy.)It really just depends on the proffesor though. Let's just say that if you sit in front you can't.
My day was good just getting use to new classes but just fine:D Nothing like yours.

message 11: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori YOU GET TO EVALUATE THEM? OMG OMG. THIS IS SO EXCITING! :DDD Sorry... I.. I get carried away. I wish I could do that now. You know how those would go for certain teachers WHO DON'T SHOW UP. Sorry again. :D But I did finish the exam. I'm just in a horrible mood now. Hate school. Cannot wait for friday. I don't wanna go baaaaack!!! Your school sounds fun. My college is (obviously) to small for the big auditorium like seating. Small state and all. I have visited one in Mass and then the awesome one in Europe with seats like you're talking about. They were fun to sit in. :)
Glad you had a good day. :) (At least someone did).

message 12: by Cara (last edited Jan 20, 2010 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara No I get you:D It's really easy too, they hand it out and the proffesor can't be in there. They take it pretty seriously. HA and when the teachers can't be there you don't have to go to class. It does kind of suck though because you have to check your school email so you don't go there and it turns out there is no class. It's not like I check that email that much. It's pretty boring regular stuff but moving on.
I do have some classrooms that have that high school feel to them. Tiny desks in rows and all that. The cool ones are the science ones. They have these clear walls to have enough light come in but it stinks (smellwise). College is cool but you do a lot of papers and all that good stuff.
I hope your day gets better and that tomorrow all the teachers show up! Gosh that is really stupid.

message 13: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori I think I'm good at checking my e-mails. OOOOO Sounds pretty. :) I plenty of papers now. And exams are OVA! I'm sleeping late tomorrow.

message 14: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara GOOD:D I have to wake up before the sun comes up tomorrow! Ug.

message 15: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori D: I feel so bad for you. Why?!

message 16: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I was exaggerating it's just kind of dark when I wake up:) I have early classes this semester is all. I hope you had a good day off.

message 17: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Yeah, there's no sun when I get up on school days either. :/ sorry you had to. But today was nice. Sun was already up, and guess what I did? Nothing. Well, I read and had weird dreams, but whatev.

message 18: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara JEALOUS!!!!!!!! but I'm glad you got to spend it reading:D Not sure if you were really into the weird dreams (you didn't specify) but at least you have dreams, I hardly if ever remember mine.

message 19: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Me too. :) I kinda liked it to be honest. I like my dreams. I remember them well and they're crazy. I just wish I was lucid in them, then it could be even crazier. I couldn't imagine not remembering mine. I had another really nice one last night, I Talked to my crush all day. :)

message 20: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Oooooohhhhh nice:)

message 21: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Yeah it was. :) Another time he asked me out. If only it was real life. :/

message 22: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I know right! You'll just have to make your dreams into action:)

message 23: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Yeahhhh. I'm not doin it. Maybe he'll grow some balls and do it.

message 24: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Harsh words on the crush! But don't get me wrong I totally agree with you.

message 25: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Haha, yeah. I really wish he would though. It'd be nice.

message 26: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Make sure to tell me when he does:) Well he will if he knows what's good for him!

message 27: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori Lol I think he's too shy. I don't think he's ever had a girlfriend. Then again, I've never had a boyfriend, so it works. :)

message 28: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara You guys would be so cute together then!:D

message 29: by Tori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tori :) If only.

Matthew latest ive stayed up for a book

message 31: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yeah definitely had the same effect on me too:D

Kimberleyannie You made me want to read this book. I was doubting if I should but I'll definitly read this one!

message 33: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Hooray:) Hope you enjoy the book as much I did!

Elizabeth love this book

message 35: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma im new to good reads. could you please tell me how to add you as friend.... lol or at least i think thats what you can do here?

message 36: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara No problem;) I'll just ask you. If you want to add anyone else just go to their profile by clicking their photo or name. There you'll see an add friend option. Hope that helps!

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura Oh Cara! You just saved me! You are my hero! :) I have to read this book—such a long story it is not even funny. But I’ve been putting it off for some reason—I don’t know why. Fear of starting another series maybe. :D Your review has given me hope though! Wonderful review. I’m looking forward to it now. :)

message 38: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Sorry it took me so long to reply Laura. Hurray:D I hope you do relish it like I did. Some people really felt like it was too long so I will warn you of that but the atmosphere of the book is awesome, and you can't help but love Ethan:D

message 39: by Dorota (new) - added it

Dorota Gusciora Loved the book just like u did could not take myself away from it. I read it threw the whole huracane sandy. I could not stop its just amazing. Everything in it it just makes u keep reading u can not stop bc u are so interested what's going to happen next. I love Ethan character he's just amazing the way he feels about this girl and the way it's described in the book it's like you can feel it too while you are reading it. Loved it and starting to read the Beautiful Darkness can't wait what happens next.

message 40: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Wow that is pretty impressive Doroata. I doubt I could have put my concentration on anything during a hurricane but that is so cool that you loved the book. I actually didn't love the sequel as much as I did this one. I haven't even read the third one and the fourth one is out! Yikes. The series is slated to have five books and I'm pretty excited for the movie:D

message 41: by Elle (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elle That was one of my favorite lines in the book.

message 42: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I know, it's the best:)

Nicole I was def surprised by how good it was!!! I can't wait rltil the movie! such a huge fan! love the character traits of ridley! u should def read!

message 44: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yeah Ridley is an interesting character and it will be cool to see how her character arc will change throughout the series. I'm really looking forward to the movie too!

Samantha i love your review of this book! & i have to agree with everything you said about it. i also found it a little weird that Ethan was noticing everyone's clothes, but i figure he had nothing better to do with living in a small town. i didn't know the book was even written until i researched the movie. now that i've read it, i can't wait for the movie!

message 46: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I know the suspense is killing me! I'm glad you found out about the book Samantha:D It's always cool to hear from other fans.

message 47: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I really like your review!! That line at the beginning, I SO got the shivers! Macon is so cool! I'd love to have him as an uncle!

message 48: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire I love the review it makes me want to read it strate away but I can't ( sucks sooo much) I have so many books to read and I am reading four books (I think I might be crazy) at once now and I can't really start another one but it will go strate to the top of my to read list now. I ready hope I like it as much as you said you did :D

message 49: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I hope you love it Claire and become a fan!:D I haven't read that many books at the same time in a long while. I hardly manage one these days:(

Sadie iv just finished the book and was the same as you, had to forcibly put it down haha!! but I made the mistake of watching the film first!! films good but not as great as the book!! fab review :)

« previous 1