TK421's Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Sep 01, 12

bookshelves: literary

Oof...well, there's not much to say about this one, no great insights, not great storytelling, and a crapload of literary devices that come across as contrived and meager, at best. I liked the idea of this novel: autisitic kid wants to solve the mystery of a murdered dog. To me, that premise was exciting. Then, I read the book. I guess I wasn't unhappy with the book; at the same time, I can't say that I was happy. Perhaps that best way to sum up this antireview is this: THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME feels like, to me, a witty writing project from an MFA program.

(RECOMMENDED w/o any real enthusiasm)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways not much to say about this one, no great insights, not great storytelling, and a crapload of literary devices that come across as contrived and meager

If this is a THREE star review, I shiver to think that there is somewhere, lurking in a dark alley, a one-star review of a book you actively disliked.

TK421 Richard wrote: "not much to say about this one, no great insights, not great storytelling, and a crapload of literary devices that come across as contrived and meager

If this is a THREE star review, I shiver to t..."

May I direct you to my TWILIGHT review. I hated that book so much I refuse to even link it.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Oh nay nay nay, I say unto you thrice more, nay nay nay! I shall not sully myself with anything twilit! For all of me, you may summon the forces of fatwa on that ghastly Mormon housewife who perpetrated these vile tomes.

TK421 You asked; I provided. But in my defense I was young and vulnerable, lonely, without direction. WILL THIS SHAME NEVER LEAVE?

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Wonderful review, Gavin. On the Twilight topic, I read it when I was 40 but, in my defense, my wife made me and I received brownie points from her.

TK421 Stephen wrote: "Wonderful review, Gavin. On the Twilight topic, I read it when I was 40 but, in my defense, my wife made me and I received brownie points from her."

Brownie points as a defense works. I was unmarried at the time....SHAME SHAME SHAME!

message 7: by Athens (new) - added it

Athens Hi Gavin. Thanks for sharing the write-up. I went through a couple weeks of just buying award-winning books and I think this was one of them.

In short, it seems like a decent way to start, but once you know what works and fits for you, it seems better to find like-minded readers here and leverage off of their recommendations.

Good fortune to you,

Paul

Justine I have to agree with you. I loved it at first and was quite intrigued by the premise.... But it lost its luster towards the middle for me