Anne's Reviews > Into the Wild Nerd Yonder

1019113
Oct 21, 2009

bookshelves: buy-for-school, discussiongroup, teen
Read in October, 2009

I really liked this book. At first, Jessie, the main character got on my nerves a little. I thought it was annoying how she kept reiterating the she loved school, loved math was so smart etc but then she tried to act like she was so much cooler than the nerds. What's the difference? Once I got past that though, I really enjoyed reading this and thought that Halpern did a great job capturing the high school scene, teens and the conflict that teens feel when they might be drawn to someone or something that's not considered "cool."

I enjoyed the relationship between Jessie and her brother, and for once I also liked her parents. They were nice and pretty hip without being all "father knows best." There were some great exchanges among their family members and they seemed believable and real. One thing I didn't really buy was how everyone in Jessie's family disapproved of something in her life but never told her. (not saying what it is so i don't ruin the story) In my family my kids can't wait to tell each other when they are screwing up.

Aside from a few minor details, I liked this book quite a bit, read it really quickly and wanted it to keep going. I think it could make a great TV show. Sort of like "My So Called Life" but as serious.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild Nerd Yonder.